A temporomandibular disorder, or TMD, can be a real headache in Richardson TX. Your temporomandibular joints, or TMJ, are the joints that connect your lower jawbone to your skull. When you move your mouth you are using these joints. When these joints get overused, they can cause the patient jaw pain, headaches, or other problems. When these problems persist, they can result in a TMD, or temporomandibular disorder and cause you chronic pain and symptoms.
Symptoms of a TMD may include:
- Jaw pain
- Ringing ears, or ears that feel stuffy may signal you need TMJ treatment
- Chronic headaches or neck aches may signal you need TMJ treatment
- A clicking or popping sound of your jaw joint–your TMJ–when the jaw moves
- Face swelling
- Muscle spasms that affect the jaw may signal you need TMJ treatment
- A change in the alignment of top and bottom teeth
- Locked jaw or limited opening of the mouth
- If you have constant headaches or migraines, it may signal you need TMJ treatment.
Symptoms like these can be caused by frequent grinding. Some patients grind their teeth when they sleep at night, and this can cause serious temporomandibular issues. If you frequently grind your teeth and have constant headaches near Lake Highlands or Garland, you may need to talk to your dentist about a potential solution.
If you are already suffering from a TMD near Lake Highlands & Garland, at Richardson Cosmetic Dentistry, we can treat the issue and help alleviate your headaches and jaw pain. We will meet with you individually to assess the TMD in Richardson TX, and to develop a plan for your care and treatment. TMDs can have multiple causes. The best way to fix a TMD near Garland is to avoid getting one. When you come into our office, we can teach a few very simple and effective ways to take care of your temporomandibular joints and to prevent a TMD from occurring near Garland.
If you avoid frequent grinding, chew equally on both sides, hold the phone upright to your ear, and practice good posture, you can reduce the chances of developing a TMD and keep your joints healthy and strong.