Periodontal disease, typically called gum disease, is inflammation or infection of the gums. For the most part, periodontal disease is preventable. This condition is so widespread in the US that it has been called a ‘health crisis’ by the ADA. Fortunately, periodontal disease can be treated.
- If left untreated, it can cause irreversible damage such as tooth loss.
- Practicing daily oral hygiene and having 6-month dental exams are the best way to prevent periodontal disease.
- Periodontal disease can be present where there is no tooth decay.
- Almost half of all 30+ adults in the US have periodontal disease.
- In some cases, periodontal disease produces no noticeable symptoms.
Even if you don’t feel any pain in your mouth, it is essential to see your dentist regularly. To schedule a periodontal disease exam, call Richardson Cosmetic Dentistry-Kerry M. Goad, DDS today at 972-690-6653 or visit http://www.richardsoncosmeticdentistry.com/blog/.
“Periodontal Disease Affects Nearly Half of the U.S. Population,” American Dental Association, June 15, 2015, http://www.ada.org/en/science-research/science-in-the-news/periodontal-disease-affects-nearly-half-us-population, accessed June 6, 2017